|Title||Northern Pacific Railway Engine 2187 with Train 422 at Auburn Depot|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Photographer||Farrow, Albert E.|
Black and white photographic print of Northern Pacific Railway Engine 2187 with Train 422 enroute to Grays Harbor, Washington, sitting at the Auburn depot on May 6, 1946. Number 422 left Seattle early in the morning and ran to Moclips, Washington (later this was shortened only to Hoquiam) in Grays Harbor County. The train appears close to departure as there is steam rising from the smokestack and a man can be seen through the engine window. The man is Caucasian and wearing a cap, and is possibly the engineer. The foreground of the photo has a second set of tracks but otherwise the area is clear. The depot roof is visible behind the train, as well as additional storage or service buildings in the yard. Electrical poles with wires running between them can be seen behind the train, lining the tracks into the distance.
Northern Pacific Railway Engine 2187 was one of fourteen class Q-2s (numbers 2175-2189) built in 1928 by the Great Northern Railway from fifteen GN 4-8-2s (numbers 1750-1764), which were built by Lima in 1914. Number 2187 was scrapped in 1953.
The Northern Pacific Railway was a transcontinental railroad that operated across the northern tier of the western United States from Minnesota to the Pacific Coast. It was approved by Congress in 1864 and given nearly 40 million acres of land grants, which it used to raise money in Europe for construction. Construction began in 1870 and the main line opened all the way from the Great Lakes to the Pacific when former president Ulysses S. Grant drove in the final "golden spike" in western Montana on Sept. 8, 1883.
Headquartered in Tacoma, Washington, the Tacoma Division's main routes were from Yakima to Stuck Junction, near future Auburn, Washington, Seattle, Washington to Sumas, Washington, on the border with British Columbia, Canada, and from Seattle to Portland, Oregon. The division encompassed 1,034 route miles; 373 in main line and 661 in branches. It was home to the principal west end repair facility at South Tacoma, Washington.
|Credit Line||White River Valley Museum Collection, Gift of Albert E. Farrow.|
This image is available for viewing for educational and fair use purposes only. The White River Valley Museum will not provide reproductions of this image or a license to reproduce this image. To order a reproduction or inquire about permissions, please contact the Martin E. Hanson Collection.
Please contact the Curator of Collections at the White River Valley Museum if you have additional information or questions regarding the images found on this web site.