|Title||Logging Camp Group|
|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Black and white sepia-toned photograph mounted on brown cardboard mat of the Covington Logging Camp in Kent, Washington. Large group of employees facing the camera, sitting and standing around a large log in the center of the photograph. They all appear to be Caucasian adult males and are wearing hats, work clothes, and boots. Six individuals are identified as: Wes Morrill, John Reed, Abe Simpson, Henry Chester Brown, Dan Thompson , and W. D. Card, Foreman. There are several individuals wearing white aprons and standing on the porch of a wooden building behind the large group, possibly the cook house. They are facing the camera but none are identified. Behind the large group is a row of six wooden buildings resting on cut logs which are "skidable bunk houses." In the foreground of the photo are railroad tracks and the back of a train car can be seen on the right edge of the photograph. Piles and pieces of scrap wood can be seen near the tracks and throughout the camp. A single power line, perhaps a telegraph line, is strung in the air over the large group of employees. There are large trees on the hillside behind the camp.
The area presently known as Covington was originally known as Jenkins Prairie. Between 1899 and 1900 the Northern Pacific Railway built a cut-off between Auburn, Washington and Kanaskat, Washington, improving the company's primary east-west route across Stampede Pass. Not long after the Palmer Cutoff was complete in 1900, the Covington Lumber Company was founded. It was the first mill in the area. By 1908 the Covington Lumber Company had set up a mill capable of cutting 85,000 board feet of timber a day. It operated on and off until the Great Depression and was removed in 1941. A Covington school district was established in 1937. Over the years the area grew as an unincorporated area of Kent, Washington. Covington was officially incorporated as a city on August 31, 1997.
To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.wrvmuseum.org/photo_use_and_purchase.html. Please cite the Catalog Number of the item you are referencing.
The Museum can grant permission to use this work only to the extent of its ownership of the rights of the work. Certain works may be protected by copyright, trademark, or related interests not owned by the Museum. The responsibility for ascertaining whether any such rights exist, and for obtaining all other necessary permissions remains with the user.
The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Please contact the Curator of Collections at the White River Valley Museum if you have additional information or questions regarding the images found on this web site.
Brown, Henry Chester
Card, W. D.