Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title Flood at Interurban Station
Object Name Print, Photographic
Date c. 1906
Photographer Clark, L.W.
Description Two black and white photographic prints of the exterior of the Kent Interurban station during a flood. The two prints appear to be from the same negative; the PO-00076 print is sharper and wider-framed than the PO-01161 print. The flood was possibly due to the White and Green rivers flooding in November 1906. Photograph was taken looking across Meeker Street from the Meadowcroft Grocery. The station is a raised two storey wooden building with a covered porch, many windows, and at least two chimneys. There are three men standing on the covered porch of the station, facing the camera and apparently surveying the damage. They are all wearing suits, ties, and hats. There is another man on the ground at the left edge of the photograph, facing away from the camera, and another behind one of the electrical poles. Both are blurry.

Train tracks can be seen at the right edge of the frame, and there is a piece of wooden railroad equipment sitting on the tracks. Water and flood debris surround at least two sides of the station. There are electrical poles with wires strung between them at the left edge of the photograph, continuing along the tracks behind the station and into the background. Trees also line the tracks. In the background at the left of the frame are several residential buildings, behind which is a ridge covered in trees. At the right of the frame there is a commercial building with a sign reading, "T. J. Mowley."

The Puget Sound Electric Railway, or "Interurban," was an interurban railway that ran for 38 miles between Tacoma and Seattle, Washington in the first quarter of the 20th century. It was headquartered in Kent, Washington. The railroad ran for 26 years, until competition from trucks, buses, and automobiles on an ever-expanding road network, as well as the steam railroads led to reduced ridership in the early 1920s, leading to a decision to shut down in 1928. Residents all along the line protested the decision, however, and the rails were not pulled up until 1930.

The White and Green rivers once merged north of downtown Auburn. Both rivers flowed out of the Cascade Mountains and made their way to Puget Sound via the Duwamish Valley. Nearly every year, the rivers would flood. Sometimes the flood was pushed into Pierce County and other times it was diverted into King County. The fall of 1906 saw heavy rains, and a warm Chinook wind that melted snow up in the mountains. By November 14, the rivers began to crest. The water rose rapidly, and a logjam near Kent soon submerged land west of town. After the flood receded an agreement was made -- Pierce County would keep the White River which had diverted during the flood, but King County had to pay 60 percent of flood control. In 1914, construction began on a diversion dam and drift barrier a few miles southwest of Auburn. Later, levees were built and the channel was dredged. This was still not enough, and in 1933 another major flood inundated the Puyallup Valley. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers were called in, and by 1948 they had built Mud Mountain Dam, seven miles southeast of Enumclaw. At the time, it was the highest rock- and earth-filled dam in the world, and has prevented any major flood since.
Catalog Number PO-00067
Copyright To order a reproduction, inquire about permissions, or for information about prices see: http://www.wrvmuseum.org/photo_use_and_purchase.html. Please cite the Catalog Number of the item you are referencing.
The Museum can grant permission to use this work only to the extent of its ownership of the rights of the work. Certain works may be protected by copyright, trademark, or related interests not owned by the Museum. The responsibility for ascertaining whether any such rights exist, and for obtaining all other necessary permissions remains with the user.
The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine. Please contact the Curator of Collections at the White River Valley Museum if you have additional information or questions regarding the images found on this web site.